Effects of parental substance misuse from conception to adolescence
This course will help generate a greater understanding of the issues facing children and young people of substance misusing parents, the impacts of prenatal drug exposure, and the risks of using drugs during pregnancy.
The course will help you identify the early warning indicators in children and young people of substance misusing parents, and work effectively with parents and children.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- learn how attitudes can impact a professional's ability to work effectively with drug / alcohol misusing parents
- define the categories of drugs and alcohol that can affect an unborn baby's health
- gain awareness of the facts and concepts surrounding prenatal drug exposure
- describe how substances reach a developing foetus
- gain knowledge of the most commonly misused drugs, including their street names and legal status
- understand the effects of misusing drugs and alcohol
- increase knowledge of the potential sources of harm associated with parental drug use.
Due to current situation regarding COVID-19 our multi-agency training calendar has been suspended until January 2021.