Skip to content


Looked After Children Placed by other Local Authorities in Kent

What you can expect to find on this page:

  • The process for consulting with Kent about potential ‘distant’ placements.
  • The process for notifying Kent of a placement of a looked after child in our local authority
  • The process for notifying Kent of any change or ending of a placement
  • Location assessments
  • How to access universal and additional services for children and young people living in Kent
  • The process for Return Interviews when children placed by Other Local Authorities are missing.

Overview of Kent

Kent is a large and complex area with twelve district councils and varying levels of deprivation and need. Kent has a high number of children in care and care leavers.

Duty to consult on 'distant' placements

If you are planning to place a child or young person from your Local Authority within our Local Authority area and it is a ‘distant’ placement (where the local authority is not adjoining Kent) you should consult with us. To request a consultant, you need to complete this form OLA consultation form. Once received, a member of staff will contact you to discuss the suitability and location of the placement.

Notifications for looked after children placed in Kent by other Local Authorities

The Care Planning, Placement and Case Review statutory guidance and the associated regulations updated in 2013, outline duties on local authorities to notify other local authorities if they place a child in care within their area.

All Other Local Authority notifications of looked after children placed in Kent need to be made using the notification form available here OLA notification form.  We need to be aware of any harm or vulnerabilities for the child/young person or the placement so that services in Kent can respond effectively to any safeguarding issues that arise.

If you have placed a child or young person in Kent (in an emergency for example ) you should notify us as soon as possible using this form - OLA notification form and choose the pathway  Notify KCC about a child you have placed in Kent.

If you are unsure whether the placement is in Kent, find out which local authority it is in using a location county finder such as and Royal Mail

The received information and any other attached documents will be recorded on our electronic system and information will be securely shared with any other relevant professionals and partners as relevant and appropriate. For example, if there are concerns regarding child exploitation and or missing episodes, information will be shared with Kent Police, Missing Child Exploitation Teams. Similarly, with any other concern, such as health or educational needs, we will notify the appropriate service.

Change or end of placement

To inform Kent of any change to the child or young person's placement and/or circumstances and for notifying us when child or young person is leaving the county you need to complete the OLA notification form and choose the pathway Advise KCC of a change to an existing placement or Advise KCC of an end to an existing placement.

Kent’s Management Information Service will contact the placing authority every three months to confirm that the information on our records is correct.

Missing Children and Return Interviews

When a looked after child is placed in a host authority and is Missing, the responsible authority should ensure the independent return interview takes place, working closely with the host authority. An independent return interview should be offered and provided within 72 hours of the child’s return. The responsible Local Authority should review whether the child’s placement remains appropriate. The decision should be informed by discussions with the child and carers where appropriate.

When we receive the notification that a child placed in Kent from another Local Authority is Missing, we will request a copy of the return interview from the responsible authority, with a follow up request upon receipt of the Found notification.  We have a robust escalation process in place which will be initiated if we do not receive a copy of the return interview.

Notifications from Children’s Homes and Independent Fostering Services

Under the Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015 reg 41(1) The registered person must notify, without delay, the local authority for the area in which the children’s home is located of every admission of a child into the home and every discharge of a child from the home.

To notify Kent of an admission or discharge from your provision an email should be sent to

Upon receipt of an email, management information will check to confirm if the responsible local authority has formally notified Kent of the placement. If the responsible local authority has placed a child in Kent without notifying us, contact will be made with the placing Local authority to request formal notification.

District Profiles

To support a registered person reviewing the appropriateness and suitability of the location of their premises used for the purposes of a children's home District Profiles for all districts within Kent can be found on this page.

District Profiles

More information

Find out about:

Keeping Children safe in Kent -

Looked after children for school admissions, please use the email: and the team will forward the correspondence on to the relevant officer

The work of Virtual School Kent and contact details:

Activities and additional support

To find out more about universal and additional services for children and young people in Kent, the following links may be helpful:

If you have any problems accessing any of the online forms or you have any other queries, please email